Subject: Re: 1.4 problems with kernel config and pmap_set
To: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@texas.net>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/04/1999 12:09:16
Jay Maynard wrote:

> Two problems:
> 1) Trying to build a kernel without an rcons device produces lots of
> unresolved externals and one compile error in scc.c. I want to build a bare
> minimum kernel for use with a serial console, only - no framebuffer support
> at all.

Unless you're really short of memory, I wouldn't worry about it too much
for now.  All of my pmaxes run serial consoles, but I use pretty much
a GENERIC config with rcons support.  I'll have a look at it with the
-current kernel.

> 2) Trying to boot the machine without a serial connection produces a weird
> failure mode: it appears to run correctly, but inetd has a problem that
> prevents it from answering any connects at all. When I plug in the console,
> with a telnet connection pending, the console shows messages:
>
> Aug  3 20:32:11 elmyra inetd[135]: pmap_set: 100002 2 17 65531: No message
> of desired type

This is in the RPC setup - is the portmap process running?

> The numbers after pmap_set vary, but it's always the same text. inetd hangs
> until I log in and su, for some reason; I don't konw whjat that would have
> to do with it, but it seems to be the only reliable way to get it loose.
> (Rebooting with a console attached would, I would expect.)

I'm not so sure - all my pmaxes are connected to DECservers, and most of
the time the consoles aren't connected (logically) - given that there's
no modem control on the console I can't see that making a difference...

Simon.