Subject: Re: 1.4 install problems on two machines
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@texas.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/30/1999 22:27:11
On Fri, Jul 30, 1999 at 10:58:14PM +1000, Simon Burge wrote:
> This is mentioned in the LAST_MINUTE file at the top of the release
> directory.  There are a couple of options mentioned there.

It certainly was. What I wound up doing was:
0) Extract the diskimage into a directory, export it, and get TFTP set up to
boot the smallnet.ecoff kernel.
1) Extract the bootblocks.tgz file into the NFS root for the install. Put
the full install file there, too.
2) TFTP boot the /25.
3) Run the installer. Let it disklabel and mkfs. Hit ^C while pax is
running.
4) disklabel -B rz0
5) mount /dev/rz0a /mnt; cp /install /mnt; reboot
6) Boot 3/rz0/install, and proceed as usual (I did an NFS install, but other
methods should work too)

> Your best bet would be to get the /25 installed (you're most of the way
> there!), and then (as you say) use that disk on the /240.

I did. Before doing a full install, though, I tried just copying the a and d
partitions by dump | restore, and writing the bootblocks, but the resulting
disk wouldn't boot: it hung before showing the image size.

Now that I'm there, one more question for which I couldn't readily fin the
answer: Is there a PROM environment setting that will make the system boot
immediately on power-up, without stopping at the >> prompt?