Subject: Re: 1.4 install problems on two machines
To: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@texas.net>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/30/1999 22:58:14
Jay Maynard wrote:

> I've got two boxes, a 5000/25 and a 5000/240. I went to install 1.4 on both
> last night, and failed both times.
>
> Neither machine would successfully TFTP boot the install image. The 5000/25
> (PROM version KN02-CA 2.0m), after some tinkering, would boot the
> smallnet.ecoff kernel, and mount the diskimage via NFS, but would stop with
> an error message from pax about a file being modified during copy, right
> after the filesystems are newfs'ed and before the sets are selected. I seem
> to recall seeing something about this on the list, but couldn't find it in
> the archives.

This is mentioned in the LAST_MINUTE file at the top of the release
directory.  There are a couple of options mentioned there.

> The 5000/240 is KN03-AA v5.1b, noted as not being able to TFTP boot. Sure
> enough, it wouldn't TFTP the smallnet.ecoff kernel either. I've got a MOP
> server on the Linux box I've been using as a server, and had, once upon a
> time, a mopa.out utility to turn an a.out image into one suitable for MOP
> /25 working, this isn't a big problem - I'll hang the disk from the /240 on
> it and install that way. Still, a MOP-format bootable would be nice for
> folks who don't have that option easily available.

Ultrix servers can just send ECOFF images via it's mop daemon - I had a
quick look at mopa.out but didn't get any further.  I'll put it on my
list to look at (one day :-( ).

Your best bet would be to get the /25 installed (you're most of the way
there!), and then (as you say) use that disk on the /240.

Good luck,
Simon.