Subject: Re: Resurrecting and putting NetBSD in a 5000/200
To: Mauricio Tavares <Mauricio@proedint.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/30/1999 00:02:12
Mauricio Tavares wrote:

> At 10:45 AM 7/29/99 +1000, Simon Burge <simonb@NetBSD.ORG> wrote:
> >> It would seem to me that it was originally configured to boot from HD SCSI
> >> #0.
> >
> >This is right - slot 5 is the internal SCSI controller, rz0 is the
> >first disk (scsi ID 0) and "vmunix" is the kernel name.  This should
> >be changed to "netbsd" quickly :-).  "cnfg 5" would show you all SCSI
>
> 	I will do it as soon as I have netbsd here ;)

That's what we want to hear!

> >devices (if you had any attached), and you can use anything except 7 for
> >a boot disk.
> >
> 	Since right now there is nothing attached to the machine but the PC
> through the serial port, it should not report much, right?

Correct.

> >> console and osconsole means nothing to me.
> >
> >These are used to control which device is the console.  Did your machine
> >come with a graphics card in any of the three expansion slots?  A
> >graphics card would have PMAGxxx marked on the back of it - where xxx
> >could be a range of things.  The 5000/200 doesn't have any on-board
> >graphics.
> >
> 	There wasa PMAG-B installed in the machine.  Based on what was written in
> the ultrix faq, I took it off so I could use a serial device as the console.

So far so good.

> >> How can I ask it to chec the memory and report how much it thinks it has?
> >
> >"cnfg" will tell you what the machine has in summary, and usually "cnfg
> >#" where # is 0, 1 or 2 for the expansion slots and 3, 4, 5 and 6 will
> >be info on the cpu, memory, disk and ethernet. "t" is the self test.
> >These machines can use either 8MB or 32MB memory modules.
> >
> 	It seems the machine is rather shy about its CPU and memory:
>
> KN02-AA V5.3t
> >>cnfg 0
> >>cnfg 1
> >>cnfg 2
> >>cnfg 3
> >>cnfg 4
> >>cnfg 5
>  5: PMAZ-AA  DEC      V5.3d    TCF0  (SCSI = 7)
>     DEV   PID                VID        REV    SCSI DEV
>     ===== ================== ========== ====== ========
>
> >>cnfg 6
>  6: PMAD-AA  DEC      V5.3a    TCF0  (enet: 08-00-2b-17-91-25)

Try just "cnfg" with no number.

> >Does the PC have a SCSI card?  If so, you should be able to copy the
> >diskimage that lives in the release directories to the start of the
> >harddisk.  I don't know how you'd do this - if it were me, I'd put the
> >netbsd stuff on the PC hard disk, then boot a netbsd/i386 install floppy
> >to do the copying :-)
> >
> 	Er what do you mean?  boot the PC from the netbsd floppy so I can
> format/partition/Install OS the SCSI HD in the PC and then take it to the
> DEC?

Pretty much, but then I don't have any windows knowledge, so there may
be a much simpler way of doing this :-)

The "diskimage.gz" file is a compressed image that can be put onto the
start of a harddisk, then you can boot off that disk on a pmax.  For
example, if you have access to the file on a netbsd/i386 (say from a
MSDOS or win95 partition) and have booted off a netbsd/i386 install
floppy, you can (once you've mounted the windows partition - but I
don't know how to do that part :-( ):

	zcat diskimage.gz | dd of=/dev/rsdXd bs=32k

where "rsdXd" would be the disk you want on the pmax (X is the disk
number in the message that appear on boot on the i386).

Once you have that on the disk, you can put that disk on your pmax
and type:

	boot 3/rz0/netbsd

to boot the kernel in that diskimage and from there you can partition,
format and install NetBSD on the pmax (say getting the NetBSD binary
sets via FTP).

As Richard van den Berg suggested, it may be much easier to see if you
can find a bootp/tftp server for Windows and get the pmax to load an
install kernel via that method.  Again, I know nothing about this
sort of stuff under Windows...

Simon.