Subject: Re: Resurrecting and putting NetBSD in a 5000/200
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mauricio Tavares <Mauricio@proedint.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/29/1999 09:42:05
At 10:45 AM 7/29/99 +1000, Simon Burge <simonb@NetBSD.ORG> wrote:
>> It would seem to me that it was originally configured to boot from HD SCSI
>> #0.
>
>This is right - slot 5 is the internal SCSI controller, rz0 is the
>first disk (scsi ID 0) and "vmunix" is the kernel name.  This should
>be changed to "netbsd" quickly :-).  "cnfg 5" would show you all SCSI

	I will do it as soon as I have netbsd here ;)

>devices (if you had any attached), and you can use anything except 7 for
>a boot disk.

	Since right now there is nothing attached to the machine but the PC
through the serial port, it should not report much, right?

>> console and osconsole means nothing to me.
>
>These are used to control which device is the console.  Did your machine
>come with a graphics card in any of the three expansion slots?  A
>graphics card would have PMAGxxx marked on the back of it - where xxx
>could be a range of things.  The 5000/200 doesn't have any on-board
>graphics.

	There wasa PMAG-B installed in the machine.  Based on what was written in
the ultrix faq, I took it off so I could use a serial device as the console.

>> How can I ask it to chec the memory and report how much it thinks it has?
>
>"cnfg" will tell you what the machine has in summary, and usually "cnfg
>#" where # is 0, 1 or 2 for the expansion slots and 3, 4, 5 and 6 will
>be info on the cpu, memory, disk and ethernet. "t" is the self test.
>These machines can use either 8MB or 32MB memory modules.

	It seems the machine is rather shy about its CPU and memory:

KN02-AA V5.3t
>>cnfg 0
>>cnfg 1
>>cnfg 2
>>cnfg 3
>>cnfg 4
>>cnfg 5
 5: PMAZ-AA  DEC      V5.3d    TCF0  (SCSI = 7)
    DEV   PID                VID        REV    SCSI DEV
    ===== ================== ========== ====== ========

>>cnfg 6
 6: PMAD-AA  DEC      V5.3a    TCF0  (enet: 08-00-2b-17-91-25)

>Does the PC have a SCSI card?  If so, you should be able to copy the
>diskimage that lives in the release directories to the start of the
>harddisk.  I don't know how you'd do this - if it were me, I'd put the
>netbsd stuff on the PC hard disk, then boot a netbsd/i386 install floppy
>to do the copying :-)

	Er what do you mean?  boot the PC from the netbsd floppy so I can
format/partition/Install OS the SCSI HD in the PC and then take it to the
DEC?