Subject: Re: Resurrecting and putting NetBSD in a 5000/200
To: Mauricio Tavares <Mauricio@proedint.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/29/1999 10:45:30
Mauricio Tavares wrote:

> NEWBIE WARNING ----- NEWBIE WARNING ----- NEWBIE WARNING ----- NEWBIE WARNING
>
> 	Two weeks ago I was given a DEC 5000/200.  It came with keyboard, rodent,
> 16MB (My Guess) of RAM, but no monitor or HD.  To check it out, I took it
> to work, hid it under my monitor (so now people will think it is a monitor
> base ;), and got a null modem cable so I could connect it to the PC I use
> at work.  I got then Tera Term for the PC, told it to look for com2, took
> the PMAG-B card off the DEC, booted it, and this is what I got:
>
> KN02-AA V5.3t
> >>?
>  ? [cmd]
>  boot [[-z #] [-n] #/path [ARG...]]
>  cat SCRPT
>  cnfg [#]
>  d [-bhw] [-S #] RNG VAL
>  e [-bhwcdoux] [-S #] RNG
>  erl [-c]
>  go [ADR]
>  init [#] [-m] [ARG...]
>  ls [#]
>  passwd [-c] [-s]
>  printenv [EVN]
>  restart
>  script SCRPT
>  setenv EVN STR
>  sh [-belvS] [SCRPT] [ARG..]
>  t [-l] #/STR [ARG..]
>  unsetenv EVN
> >>printenv
>  boot=5/rz0/vmunix -a
>  testaction=q
>  haltaction=h
>  more=24
>  #=7
>  console=1
>  osconsole=7
> >>

> It would seem to me that it was originally configured to boot from HD SCSI
> #0.

This is right - slot 5 is the internal SCSI controller, rz0 is the
first disk (scsi ID 0) and "vmunix" is the kernel name.  This should
be changed to "netbsd" quickly :-).  "cnfg 5" would show you all SCSI
devices (if you had any attached), and you can use anything except 7 for
a boot disk.

> Does -a mean multiuser?

Yup.

> console and osconsole means nothing to me.

These are used to control which device is the console.  Did your machine
come with a graphics card in any of the three expansion slots?  A
graphics card would have PMAGxxx marked on the back of it - where xxx
could be a range of things.  The 5000/200 doesn't have any on-board
graphics.

> How can I ask it to chec the memory and report how much it thinks it has?

"cnfg" will tell you what the machine has in summary, and usually "cnfg
#" where # is 0, 1 or 2 for the expansion slots and 3, 4, 5 and 6 will
be info on the cpu, memory, disk and ethernet. "t" is the self test.
These machines can use either 8MB or 32MB memory modules.

> I would like to put NetBSD in it.  I should have a little 512MB HD I could
> use at least to check the machine out.  My problem here is that there are
> *no* other unix boxes at work.  I have a Sparc at home but would prefer not
> to have to take one to where the other is and work from there.  So, given
> that I have a PC on my desk running win95, how can I put NetBSD in the
> 5000/200?

Does the PC have a SCSI card?  If so, you should be able to copy the
diskimage that lives in the release directories to the start of the
harddisk.  I don't know how you'd do this - if it were me, I'd put the
netbsd stuff on the PC hard disk, then boot a netbsd/i386 install floppy
to do the copying :-)

Simon.