Subject: Resurrecting and putting NetBSD in a 5000/200
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Mauricio Tavares <Mauricio@proedint.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/28/1999 13:57:15
NEWBIE WARNING ----- NEWBIE WARNING ----- NEWBIE WARNING ----- NEWBIE WARNING

	Two weeks ago I was given a DEC 5000/200.  It came with keyboard, rodent,
16MB (My Guess) of RAM, but no monitor or HD.  To check it out, I took it
to work, hid it under my monitor (so now people will think it is a monitor
base ;), and got a null modem cable so I could connect it to the PC I use
at work.  I got then Tera Term for the PC, told it to look for com2, took
the PMAG-B card off the DEC, booted it, and this is what I got:

KN02-AA V5.3t
>>?
 ? [cmd]
 boot [[-z #] [-n] #/path [ARG...]]
 cat SCRPT
 cnfg [#]
 d [-bhw] [-S #] RNG VAL
 e [-bhwcdoux] [-S #] RNG
 erl [-c]
 go [ADR]
 init [#] [-m] [ARG...]
 ls [#]
 passwd [-c] [-s]
 printenv [EVN]
 restart
 script SCRPT
 setenv EVN STR
 sh [-belvS] [SCRPT] [ARG..]
 t [-l] #/STR [ARG..]
 unsetenv EVN
>>printenv
 boot=5/rz0/vmunix -a
 testaction=q
 haltaction=h
 more=24
 #=7
 console=1
 osconsole=7

It would seem to me that it was originally configured to boot from HD SCSI
#0.  Does -a mean multiuser?  console and osconsole means nothing to me.
How can I ask it to chec the memory and report how much it thinks it has?

I would like to put NetBSD in it.  I should have a little 512MB HD I could
use at least to check the machine out.  My problem here is that there are
*no* other unix boxes at work.  I have a Sparc at home but would prefer not
to have to take one to where the other is and work from there.  So, given
that I have a PC on my desk running win95, how can I put NetBSD in the
5000/200?