Subject: Re: raidframe on a pmax?
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/28/1999 08:42:12
Simon Burge writes:
> Folks,
>
> Has anyone had any experience with raidframe on NetBSD/pmax?

I did a bunch of testing of RAIDframe on the pmax quite a while back,
and it worked fine...

> A disk
> failure on one of the components of my 10x2GB ccd on a 1.3.3 system is
> prompting me to look at alternatives :-(

Ick.. ya..

> The filesystem is mostly read-only, so I was thinking of looking at a
> raid4 setup with a single hot-spare.  Sound reasonable?

Go RAID5 with a single hot-spare.  Unless you're actually mounting the
filesystem read-only, there will still be writes to the RAID set
(e.g. for updates of file access times and such), and RAID 5 should perform
better than RAID 4.  And even if you *are* mounting it read-only, it should
still be faster to use RAID 5 than RAID 4 as now you can be pulling data
from all n disks instead of just n-1 disks.

With whatever you decide, I'd be interested in hearing how it goes :)

Later...

Greg Oster