Subject: Re: Off Topic???
To: None <logan@datacurrent.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/22/1999 12:21:55
Logan Bowers wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was just wondering if there is a better list to discuss hardware
> (DECstations and the like).  And if not, I do have a question:

This maybe as good a place as any, especially if you're gonna install
NetBSD on them at some stage in the future :-)

> I just came into the possession of about 5 DECstation 5000/240s and 10
> DECpersonal 5000/25s.  Is there any good place I can look up the specs
> on these machines?

The pmax home page has some info (http://www.NetBSD.ORG/Ports/pmax/).
There's also a little bit of into somewhere on gatekeeper.dec.com, but
you'll have to hunt for it.  I think most of the info was on the 3100
and the 5000/200...

> Also, the built-in video only sends 3 signals (RGB,
> with Sync on Green if I'm not mistaken), is there any way to interface
> that with a standard monitor?

DEC sells a part that converts from RGB to VGA - we use them here
because Sun 21" VGA monitors are cheaper then DEC 20" RGB monitors :-)
The part number is 29-32549-01, and you can get them for about $40 here
in Australia.

> How about a serial interface?

The serial ports should be capable of decent speeds (up to 115k I think
- Jonathan will jump in if I'm wrong :).  Serial console is supported.

> How
> reliable are they for net booting?

Some models have problems netbooting - there's a list of known models
at http://www.NetBSD.ORG/Ports/pmax/board-list.html.  In general, most
pmaxs don't have problems netbooting.

> I'm thinking of setting up the
> personals as a cluster of servers...  Thanks.

They wont be earth-shatteringly fast, but sounds like a fun exercise!

Simon.