Subject: Re: Large disk on a DecStation 5000/120
To: Eric Corwin <ecorwin@fas.harvard.edu>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/21/1999 20:11:45
In message <199907220110.VAA31903@ice1.fas.harvard.edu>,
Eric Corwin writes:
>Just one more question, which (if any) of the prefixes fast, ultra, and wide
>are acceptable to the decstation?

``none at all''. However, fast defaults to `slow' until fast-scsi is
enabled, so fast-narrow works.  Ultra may cause problems.

These days it may be faster to get a wide-to-narrow terminator
(terminates the `wide' part of the wide-scsi bus, leaving the
narrow part), plug that into the wide drive and the 50-pin cable into
the terminator than to look for original, narrow/5MHz SCSI.
That's what I plan to do next time I get a drive.

--Jonathan