Subject: Re: DECstation 5000/200 serial console
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/21/1999 11:23:12
In message <199907211433.AAA06116@balrog.supp.cpr.itg.telecom.com.au>,
Simon Burge writes:

>mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:
>
>> If I remove the video card and keyboard from my DECstation 5000/200 and
>> connect a terminal to the connector marked "2" on the back, should the
>> console automatically switch to this serial port?  I'm not booted yet,
>> just trying to get the prom prompt.  I'm not getting anything and before I
>> waste too much time troubleshooting cables I wanted to make sure it
>> should work..
>
>I think it's the connector marked "3" - off the top of my head it's the
>one closet to the reset button.  I'll double check when I get to work
>tomorrow.

Yep. At least it is on a 5000/240, and the bulkheads are the same
(tho' the serial chip is different).

I *think* that on the 5000 series, removing the mouse and keyboard is
sufficient.  You could try that, and if it works you dont even have to
remove the graphics card if you don't want to. (it may depend on
whether someone did `setenv console *' or `setenv console <whatever
slot the video card is in>', though.