Subject: Installing on DECstation 5000/25
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Mikael Dalsgard <mdalsgar@sdata.no>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/16/1999 16:58:15
Hi!

Even though there seems to be others on the mailing list having similar
problems, I have not seen any answers which helps my case - and neither in
any of the FAQs.

I am in the process of converting a DECstation 5000/25 from running Ultrix
4.4 to NetBSD 1.4. I have downloaded the basic mandatory packages and read
the install note.

Now, if I have understood the papers correctly, I must get the
pmax/binary/kernel/install.gz. I did that and gunzip'ed the file. It was
then placed in the root directory on the Ultrix system (beside the old
Ultrix vmunix-kernel).

When I then tried to boot this installation kernel - using the BOOTPROM
command
>>boot 3/rz2/install,

the loader complains :

bad magic number
Enter image name:

The BOOTPROM is V2.0m.

Just "for fun", I decided to try the tftp boot, also listed as an
alternativ in the install papers. The gunzip'ed install-file is placed on
a Linux box with both tftp and dhcp-services configured. Using the
BOOTPROM-command

>>boot 3/tftp

the result is :

?IO a.out err (-1)

The log on the Linux-box reveals that the DEC has been offered the correct
IP-number by the DHCP/BOOTP-server, and the tftp-server has got a request
for the install-file from this number. The file has been served (something
I think would not have happened/logged if the file had not been in the
correct location).

Some postings on the list suggest there is some confusion regarding a.out,
ELF and ECOFF versions of the kernel. But I can't seem to find any other
versions of the install-kernel (and the install notes seems to suggest
there is "one kernel fits all"). Other kernels lying around does not
contain sysinst, do they ?

I hope someone has any suggestions for me to try out. I would love to get
a more modern OS on the box. I am new to NetBSD, but have tried to read up
a lot on the subject lately. And I'm rather experienced on Linux/FreeBSD
and other commercial UNIX'es.

----
73 de Mikael Dalsgard
	NOW is the only thing that is real