Subject: Re: NetBSD/pmax 1.4 Xpmax on monochrome DS3100
To: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
From: Andy Doran <ad@fionn.sports.gov.uk>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/21/1999 20:33:22
Thanks for the report Paul! Sounds like two things are wrong:

1) blackPixel and whitePixel need to be 'allocated' correctly in pmax_io.c.
   AFAIR this involves something horribly complex along the lines of:

	blackPixel = 0;
	whitePixel = 1;

2) pixmap visuals in pmax_init.c need to be trimmed for true 1bpp.
   This involes opening /dev/fb? and seeing whether it's monochrome,
   then swiftly closing it off. If it's mono, kill the 8bpp pixmap depth.
   This is a stupid limitation of DIX.

Can somebody handle this - Micheal, Simon? Ugh. I'm starting to really
regret pushing hard with development before I left Ireland.

> BTW, what is the Xprt server that comes in xserver.tgz under 1.4?  I
> must have missed something, but I couldn't find any reference to it.

I've never played around with it, but from what I know, upon shutdown it
outputs either PCL (LaserJet) or PostScript which you can send to your
printer. There should be a manpage or docs in the X11R6 source somewhere
if you're interested.

- ad