Subject: Re: Old DEC software
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/06/1999 03:12:04
Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com> writes:

> Sorry for the mostly off-topic question...  I'm hoping there are
> some DEC-heads who might be able to help me.  I have a DECServer 300
> terminal server that I want to use as a console server for my NetBSD
> machines (m68k, pmax, alpha, arm32, etc.), but I don't have any boot
> software for it.  Does anyone know where I can find it?  Is it still
> possible to buy it from DEC/Compaq?
> If not, does anyone have a copy floating around some almost forgotten
> corner of a network?

	I have one of these boxes too, and I started a search similar
to yours, until someone pointed out the fact that the boxes speak DEC
LAT on the ethernet port, so unless you have client or translator box
that also speaks LAT, even getting it running isn't actually very
productive. I've also heard it said that some Cisco boxes can do
conversion of LAT or whatever the relevant protocol on top of LAT is
to TCP, so if you have a handy Cisco, the DECserver might be worth
more than a doorstop.

	- Nathan