Subject: 1.4 Installer woes
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Dan McMahill <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/04/1999 17:43:57
I'm getting around to upgrading my DECstation 5000/200 from NetBSD-1.3.3
to 1.4.

I'm using a PMAD-A ethernet adapter (le1), and a PMAGB-B video card.
The machine is connected to the ethernet via a NetBSD/mac68k machine
which is doing IP-NAT and connecting via cable modem.  This morning all
network stuff was happy.

I've run into a few problems so far:

I'm trying to upgrade via ftp.

Attempt #1:
-----------
got as far as configure the network.  typed in everything correctly and it
wouldn't successfuly ping the name server although for some strange
reason, on the sysinst screen, it had the name of the machine it was
trying to ping!? (yes, the name, not just the IP number I had given it).
How did it get the name?   Anyway, I couldn't make that work right...
tried again a few times.

Attempt #2:
-----------
This time I lied and gave the IP address of my gateway computer as a name
server address and the pings worked fine.  Then in the ftp server setup
setup, I just gave it the IP address for ftp.netbsd.org to avoid needing a
name server.

now it starts downloading the files, however the ftp status bar causes the
screen to scroll up and it makes it hard to read.  I chose 'pmax' as
the console type when I booted the machine. Also, now I'm starting
to see

asc_get_status:  cmdreg11, fifo cnt7
rz0:  Illegal request
and I also got an Input/Output error.

A generic sysinst comment, is that it would be nice to have it grab one of
the distribution files, extract it, delete it then move on to the next as
I don't have enough free disk space right now for the entire collection of
files.  For now, I just choose a custom install and do once without X and
once with only X.

-Dan