Subject: Re: root account inaccessable
To: Brad <bnh@dimension6.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/02/1999 18:21:08
	I've just updated the FAQ entry on single user mode - it will show
	up shortly under
	http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/misc/index.html#why-single-user
	but in the meantime I'll include it here - let me know if you have
	any questions/comments!

  What is single-user mode, why, and how?

          'single-user' mode is when the kernel has booted, but only runs
          a single shell on the console. If you boot single user only the
          root filesystem will be mounted, and it will be mounted
          read-only. Among the many uses for single-user mode are:

          + fsck your filesystem due to suspected corruption.
          + edit corrupted system configuration files in /etc.
          + install a new set of binaries which you downloaded or
            compiled yourself.
          + make a backup of your filesystem without worrying about
            interference from user processes.

          You can enter single user mode by running 'shutdown now' as
          root on a running system, or by booting the system with the
          '-s' flag (the method for doing this varies from port to port).

          Once booted single user you may find some of the following
          commands useful:

          + fsck -p ; mount -va
            Check the filesystems with fsck(8), then make them available
            with mount(8).
          + set -E
            Enable command line editing.
          + TERM=vt220 ; export TERM
            Set and export the TERM variable, to permit editors such as
            'vi' to work. Note: You may need to use a different terminal
            type from 'vt220', depending on the console type.
          + sh /etc/netstart
            Bring up the network. If you have any nfs mounted filesystems
            you may want to do this before the fsck and mount.

		David/absolute

	 -=-  "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger"  -=-