Subject: Re: root account inaccessable
To: Andy Doran <ad@fionn.sports.gov.uk>
From: Brad <bnh@dimension6.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/02/1999 18:01:51
Thanks to everyone for replying, what ended up working was:

boot 3/rz2/netbsd -s

at the ">>" prompt (thanks Greg!)  but from here i don't have alot of things
i should have like man, ftp, things like that. /usr is empty, and i'm
guessing that's a "Bad Thing" ;) anyway, how do i mount /usr?

thanks again,
brad

>If you just removed the entry from master.passwd, you need to rebuild
>the password database with a command like:
>
> pwd_mkdb -p /etc/master.passwd
>
>/usr will of course need to be mounted for this...
>
>- ad
>
>David Brownlee wrote:
>>
>>         Can you recall what you have changed/installed (even in general
>>         terms) since you last positively know you were able to login as
>>         root.
>>
>>         Can you login as a normal user and 'su'.
>>
>>         Can you boot into single user and see if the 'root' line in
>>         /etc/master.passwd starts 'root::'?
>>
>>                 David/absolute
>>
>>                       Neighbours should be one of:
>>                 a) Understanding   b) Distant   c) Deaf
>>
>> On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Brad Henry wrote:
>>
>> > Hey Andy, thanks for the warning about HTML email, i normally set up
the
>> > client to use plain text, this time i guess i didn't :)
>> >
>> > sorry, i might not have been clear about this, but the problem isn't
with
>> > logging in from remote, it's when i try to log in directly on the
terminal.
>> > Any ideas?
>> >
>> > thanks,
>> > brad