Subject: Re: Some hardware questions ..
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Andreas Kotes <count@linux.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/01/1999 22:14:22
Hoi!

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Jonathan Stone wrote:
> >Hmm, some questions ..
> >
> > - Can I use the usual PS/2-SIMMs in a Personal DECstation 5000/25 or
> >   DECstation 5000/125? If so, would I need FPM-RAMs or would EDO work
> >   also?
>
> No. You need the DEC simms or compatibles from (eg) Kingston.

Ah. I just found out by trying 72pin SIMMs ;) dont fit ..

How are the usual prices for DEC simms? Is someone selling some? :)

> > - Which card is better perfomance-wise?
> >    - PMAG-CA (PX) (supported with NetBSD-current only)
> >    - PMAGB-B (CX,CFB,HX or SFB, dunno? don't yet know if its supported)
>
> The sfb is supported. Performance-wise, the PMAG-C (px) will probably
> be `better'; the problem is that we dont yet have a supported Xserver
> for it.

ah. OK. the PMAGB-B works (HX) ..

> > - Is there any support at all for the SCSI-Floppy or CDROM-drives?
>
> Yes.  For 1.4.x they configure just like normal rz disks.

kewl :)

> > - if I wanted to use the PMAG-CA (PX)-card, would someone be so nice and
> >   build a install or nfs kernel for netbooting for me? I'd like to use
> >   1.4 and don't really want to track current
>
> IIRC, the `install' snapshot Simon built and put on the FTP server
> (which added iso9660) includes PMAG-C support.

the one from NetBSD/arch/pmax/1.4cdfs/install.gz? I tried, this one didn't
work.

   the Count

--
-= Andreas Kotes - mailto:count@linux.de - Consulting & Development =-
-= Micro$oft has a Year 2000 problem. I am part of it. I use Linux. =-