Subject: Re: Some hardware questions ..
To: Andreas Kotes <count@linux.de>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/01/1999 12:43:06
In message <Pine.LNX.4.05.9906011542240.562-100000@mAnIaC.inx.de>,
Andreas Kotes  writes

>Hi!
>
>Hmm, some questions ..
>
> - Can I use the usual PS/2-SIMMs in a Personal DECstation 5000/25 or
>   DECstation 5000/125? If so, would I need FPM-RAMs or would EDO work
>   also?

No. You need the DEC simms or compatibles from (eg) Kingston.

> - Are 2/8MB SIMMs supported only or would I be able to get it running
>   using 4/16/32MB SIMMs, too?

No. only the 2mb and 8mb simms are supported. the PROMs dont even let
you mix 2mb and 8mb in a single system.

> - Which card is better perfomance-wise?
>    - PMAG-CA (PX) (supported with NetBSD-current only)
>    - PMAGB-B (CX,CFB,HX or SFB, dunno? don't yet know if its supported)

The sfb is supported. Performance-wise, the PMAG-C (px) will probably
be `better'; the problem is that we dont yet have a supported Xserver
for it.

> - Is there any support at all for the SCSI-Floppy or CDROM-drives?

Yes.  For 1.4.x they configure just like normal rz disks.

> - if I wanted to use the PMAG-CA (PX)-card, would someone be so nice and
>   build a install or nfs kernel for netbooting for me? I'd like to use
>   1.4 and don't really want to track current

IIRC, the `install' snapshot Simon built and put on the FTP server
(which added iso9660) includes PMAG-C support.