Subject: Re: Can't boot 3100 over network to begin install.
To: Malcolm MacArthur <malcolmm@rustic-place.demon.co.uk>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/30/1999 01:50:43
Malcolm MacArthur wrote:

> [[ problems netbooting a 3100 deleted ]]

Some 3100's have problems with the size of the install kernel image.
You have a "KN01 V7.02" which noone has reported success or failure
when dealing with normal-sized kernels.  You could try to boot the
kernel in pmax/installation/misc/smallnet.ecoff.gz to see if that loads
successfully.  You'll need to set up a diskless client area if you go
down this road (see the "rp" entry in the above bootptab).

The filename problem would seem to be a problem with dhcp.  I use bootp,
and have the following entry for my test 3100:

	.default:\
		:hn:\
		:ht=ether:\
		:nt=timehost:\
		:dn="supp.cpr.itg.telecom.com.au":\
		:ds=dnsquery bindmaster:\
		:to=auto:
	.172_73_42_0:\
		:tc=.default:\
		:sm=255.255.255.0:\
		:gw=172.73.42.1:\
		:sa=172.73.42.42:
	basil:\
		:ha=08.00.2b.1c.27.4c:
		:tc=.172_73_42_0:bf=netbsd/basil:rp=/dlboot0/basil.root:

The kernel lives in /tftpboot/netbsd/basil.  You shouldn't need anywhere
near that amount of guff - this is built by an automatic bootptab
generator.  Something like:

	dstn06:\
		:hn:sm=255.255.255.0:sa=192.68.23.3:\
		:ha=08.00.2b.1a.5b.55:bf=install:

should work for you.  That doesn't seem to be your problem though.
However, if the cut-down kernel doesn't work, then I'd probably try a
bootpd instead of dhcp...

Good luck,
Simon.