Subject: Re: I'm not familar with Ultrix...but I wanna NetBSD!!!
To: None <sonnie@263.net>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@NetBSD.ORG>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/30/1999 00:21:00
sonnie@263.net wrote:

> [DECsystem 5000/260 running Ultrix 4.3A]
>
> 1. How could I know the hardware configuration of this machine?

From within Ultrix, "/etc/uerf -Rr 300 | more" will show the boot-up
messages which should give you a list of what devices are present.
Another option is to type "cnfg" and the >> PROM prompt when the machine
is shut down.  A third option is to look at the back of the box and read
the inscription on the TURBOchannel cards.

> 2. What infomation should I know in order to install NetBSD on it?

The main one is if the cards you have are supported.  The install doco
will tell you this.

> 3. Could I use my 19" screen if NetBSD is installed?
>    Does it depend only on TURBOchannel?

Depends on the graphics card you have.  NetBSD 1.4 supports the PMAG-A,
PMAG-B and PMAGB-B.  NetBSD-current also supports the PMAGC (or PMAG-C)
cards (but -current has some problems booting right this minute).

> Best regards,
> Sonnie Hook

Good luck,
Simon.