Subject: Re: I'm not familar with Ultrix...but I wanna NetBSD!!!
To: None <sonnie@263.net>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/29/1999 22:45:45
> [DECsystem 5000/260 running Ultrix 4.3A]
>
> 1. How could I know the hardware configuration of this machine?

By taking a screw driver and opening the chasis.  It's a joke.  If you
can boot the machine, with >> console monitor prompt, type;

	cnfg 3

It shows baseboard configuration including all memory installed, all
SCSI devices it can identify.

If the 3maxplus has TURBOchannel option cards, type;

	cnfg 0, or
	cnfg 1, or
	cnfg 2

to check what TURBOchannel card is installed in that TC slot.  It would
show TURBOchannel device names.

> 2. What infomation should I know in order to install NetBSD on it?

NetBSD/pmax web page and installation doc.

> 3. Could I use my 19" screen if NetBSD is installed?
>   Does it depend only on TURBOchannel?

If your 19" is one of so-called "multi-sync. SVGA" displays very
common in today market, it should work with 3max+.  My Personal
DECstation is hooked with SONY Trinitron Multiscan 17seII originally
sold with dual Pentium Pro Windows NT 3.51.

Tohru Nishimura