Subject: Re: 1.4 problem?
To: Matthew Hudson <mhudson@home.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/12/1999 13:11:03
Matthew Hudson wrote:

> [ netbsd ELF symbol table not valid ]
>
> when I try to boot right after installing.

This is normal.  It was actually an oversight on my part shipping an
ELF kernel in kern.tgz - you can't extract that kernel and netboot it.
There's now an ecoff kernel in kern.tgz, that can be both netbooted and
booted off disk.  The only "problem" is that the ddb initialisation
doesn't recognise the symbols, but this doesn't affect normal operation.

If you compile your own kernel, just copy "netbsd" and not
"netbsd.ecoff" to /netbsd - "netbsd.aout" isn't built or used anymore.

Simon.