Subject: Re: DS5240 serial ports
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/11/1999 16:11:15

Ewwwww. EVERY access needs the delay macros if it's not fixed in hardware!

> >I thought you were playing with /1 mode at one point? THAT will definitely
> >cause problems. :-)
>
> I was, but I'm pretty sure this was with 16-sample mode with the
> divisor set to 0. I think 78.6 didnt work on this particular machine
> eihter.
>
> IIRC we'd have to go to 1-sample mode to go to 230k, but that's synch
> anyway. Or does localtalk provide an external clock?

LocalTalk would need an external clock source for non-mac hardware.
LocalTalk ignores the BRG, and runs the transmitter in /16 mode and the
receiver in /16 PLL mode (off of the receive clock). Thus a 3.68 MHz clock
needs to be available, which I think isn't at present.

Take care,

Bill