Subject: Re: Making X work on MFB
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.Stanford.EDU>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/05/1999 12:10:15
Bill Studenmund wrote:

> On Tue, 4 May 1999, maximum entropy wrote:
>
> > What is the definition of a "show stopper", and in what way does this
> > bug not meet that definition?
>
> releng has the exact definition in that they will/won't be doing the
> pullup. But generally "Show stopper" is a nasty crash-the-machine bug.
> Like a bug which just got fixed in the nfs server where a lot of diskless
> clients booting at the same time would crash the nfs server.
>
> As I understand this patch, it's a patch to get X working on a display X
> doesn't currently work on. Also, the failure mode is that X won't work,
> not that trying the X server will crash the machine. :-)
>
> Sounds like a great fix for 1.4.1 though.

In this case we're lucky - even though xsrc is tagged for 1.4, releng
ok'd the request to move the tag to include this patch.

One thing to note is that 1.3.3 had a working Xserver for the mfb (for
some definition of "working"), and before this patch 1.4 didn't (whether
or not for the same definition of "working" I'm not sure :-).  I dunno
if this reasoning (included in the pull-up request) helped make their
decision on whether or not to accept the pull-up.

Simon.