Subject: Re: X for PMAG-CA?
To: None <pgonnet@student.ethz.ch>
From: Andy Doran <ad@psn.ie>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/27/1999 21:04:24
On Tue, 27 Apr 1999 pgonnet@student.ethz.ch wrote:

> been testing the PMAG-CA capable kernel a bit, and nothing crashed
> yet. two small problems (?) though:
> 	- speed: or lack thereof

Huh! It's the fastest console you'll get on a DECstation (Unless you've
got a PXG+).

> 	- flickering: on long ls's or cat's the screen will blink
> (on-off in ca. 0.5s), but still retain it's state

Scrolling continiously drives the PixelStamp a lot harder than we should
be. The STIC gets wedged, and needs to be reset. I have a workaround in
mind for this, but no promises.

> is there any chance to get an X-server to work with the card?
> command-line's fun and all, but x would be real cool. if it's too much
> of a hassle though, let it be. probably more realitic: can you
> integrate it into 1.4B so i can give it a shot and join the hunt for
> six-legged bastards?

There is an Xserver, but it's slow and buggy. For instance, stippling the
root window (you know the pattern when you start up X first?) takes like,
6 seconds or something. The PixelStamp is capable of doing that in a
number of ms, with one command. It capabilities are not used properly.

Andy.