Subject: Re: TLB manager for devices -- Re: CVS commit: src
To: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/26/1999 18:03:09
>> I think he means to manage the i860's TLB.  So, this is actually more like
>> what you need to do for SGMAP DMA on the Alpha.
>
>Doo, I see I misunderstood.  The doomed i860 has the exactly same VM
>machinary as i386, does it?

Close, but not exactly the same, iirc.

And we would still need to (a) produce and (b) download i860 firmware
to drive the 3d accelerator into the card.

And as best as I can figure, even internal-to-DEC sources cannot find
that information anymore. (Maddog Hall has tried, to no avail).

*That's* why I keep muttering about Xws emulation: while Andy has done
wonderfully with the PMAG-C, the PXG boards really need the DEC
server.  (and that's why I had intended to use separate drivers, both
with a `stic' attribute that pulls in a common PixelStamp/`stic'
source file).