Subject: bad system call
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/25/1999 15:49:10
Can anyone shed some light on what this message means:

dan@sy-borg (18)-% make
gcc -g `gtk-config --cflags`  pixmap.c -o pixmap -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib
`gtk-config --libs`
dan@sy-borg (19)-% gdb pixmap
GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
 under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
GDB 4.16 (mips-netbsd), Copyright 1996 Free Software Foundation, Inc...
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/dan/tmp/examples/pixmap/pixmap

Program received signal SIGSYS, Bad system call.
0x204d1db4 in shmget () at shmget:2
shmget:2: No such file or directory.
(gdb) quit
The program is running.  Quit anyway (and kill it)? (y or n) y

This program ('pixmap') is from the examples which ship with gtk+-1.2.1.
(/usr/pkgsrc/x11/gtk/work/gtk-+-1.2.1/examples/pixmap).  I just added the
'-g' to the Makefile.
This is on a NetBSD-1.3.3 DECstation 5000/200.
I'm logged in remotely from a different NetBSD machine (mac68k) and have
the DISPLAY set to the mac.  If I try it the other way around, ie build
the program on the mac, sit at the pmax, remote log into the mac with the
display set back to the pmax, then the same program (which is now
executing on the mac and displaying on the pmax) causes the pmax X server
to crash.  Other combos of local/remote displays and machines are all
fine (solaris-sparc, solaris-x86, netbsd/mac68k).

I'm not able to take this machine down to try 1.4 right now as its in
continual use.

-Dan