Subject: Re: problems booting 1.4_ALPHA snapshot
To: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/22/1999 06:49:00
"Michael L. Hitch" wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, Tracy J. Di Marco White wrote:
>

> > The boot blocks end up displaying odd characters on my screen, but can
> > boot my old kernel on one disk I have.  On the other disk I'm trying
>
>   I just switched to a new /boot, and I get the same garbled output.  It
> looks like the bootstrap is clobbering the PROM fonts somehow.

Wow.   I don't think the bootblocks touch any PROM-reserved areas of RAM.
What sort of machines are these problems happening on - I'll see if I
can reproduce it here.

The only thing that comes to mind is the location bootinfo structure -
it currently starts in the "dbgmon stack" area.  Michael, can you try
compiling a /boot with either the "BOOTINFO_ADDR" on line 113 changed to
0x8001f400 or 0x80068000?  The first address is the "Ultrix temporary
startup stack", whilst the second should be well below the second stage
stack.

Simon.