Subject: Re: 1.4 pmax buglets?
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Doran <ad@psn.ie>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/20/1999 04:28:52
On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Simon Burge wrote:

> People are still getting the problem - Tracy J. Di Marco White got a
> "panic: uvm_km_suballoc: unable to allocate space in parent map" on a 3
> day old 1.4_ALPHA kernel.  I've not seen the problem at all on machines
> with 24MB, 32MB, 96MB and 128MB of RAM...

I think it's related to image size. It happens every now and again to me.
If I add/remove a bit of code I'm working on, it magically disappears.
We're loosing at least 128kB VA range worth of PTEs, otherwise the first
uvm_km_suballoc would suceed.

> >     * bswap{16,32} and .abicalls  for libsa/libkern?
> >       (the .abicalls are supposed to be protected by an ifdef
> >       which  standalone/kernel code is supposed to turn on)
>
> Stand-alone stuff (bootblocks) builds ok.  On the 1.4 branch, the kernel
> compiles cleanly, but I've just noticed that -current breaks because
> -DABICALLS to passed to ${CC} for all the .S files and thus generates
> PIC code and the kernel link fails.  It looks like the simplest fix is
> to remove the ABICALL dance from libkern/byte_swap_?.S.  In fact I've

I think I already suggested this, but was waiting for a reply.

Andy.