Subject: Re: Looking for people to test small netboot kernel
To: Douglas S. Meade <doug@inforum2.umd.edu>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@NetBSD.ORG>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/16/1999 01:22:09
"Douglas S. Meade" wrote:

> Simon,
>
> I just did some experiments with the machine at work, the 7.0.
> I can boot the kernel, and get as it asking for root device,
> but then when I tell it le0, it says "cannot mount - error 49",
> and then I need to halt.

Great!  Thanks for testing this.  The errors about mounting stem from
not having an NFS root filesystem set up - in the scheme of things,
that's not too hard to do.  That fact that you got that far on what has
up until now been classed as a "non tftp bootable" machine for NetBSD
kernels is really good news.

> One thing that bugs me -- with any of the kernels I use with this
> machine, always the first time I try to boot it comes back with
>
> 429 tftp err 2(Access Violation)
>
> several times.  The second time I try it, it always starts booting.
> The only kernel I've been successful with on this machine so far
> is the nfsnetbsd.ecoff from the 1.3.3 distribution.

I see this error sometimes when the PROM seems confused after an error
prompt if anything other than a clean halt had happened...

> Would you still like me to try it with the 6.71's at home, or
> do I take it that you know they will work already?

It should "just work(tm)", but a known result won't hurt if it's not too
much trouble.

Simon.