Subject: Re: 1.4A problem on 5000/200
To: Andy Doran <ad@psn.ie>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/12/1999 22:13:52
On Tue, 13 Apr 1999, Andy Doran wrote:

> [Simon, can you please commit missing callvec.c in pmax/stand/lib?]
>
> This uvm_km_suballoc() panic in machdep.c is back again for me (with a
> fresh source tree) when allocating exec_map.
>
> 	minaddr is 0xffffffff (doesn't matter)
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  Are you sure about this?  I was pretty sure this is being used as the
minimum address of the memory to allocate.  Starting at 0xffffffff doesn't
leave a whole lot of space to allocate from :-)

> 	maxaddr is 0xffffffff (doesn't matter)
> 	kernel_map is nonzero
> 	size is 4194304
>
> Any ideas? I'll recompile with the UVMHIST stuff tomorrow. BTW, tried
> linking a MIPS kernel that uses any of the bswap() functions lately?

  Most other ports set minaddr to the address of the buffer memory
allocation.  The macppc port sets it to 0, and both the alpha and pmax
don't initialize it.  Hmm... interesting - the old pica machdep.c does
initialize it.  I would say the alpha and pmax are incorrect.