Subject: Re: 1.4_ALPHA coming soon
To: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/05/1999 11:35:07
Toru Nishimura wrote:

> I have a question to Simon.
>
> > A note to all testers - to use DDB symbols on ELF machines, and to boot
> > ELF kernels, you'll need to install new bootblocks first.  Instructions
> > go something like this:
>
> Will NetBSD/pmax 1.4 distribution have ELF kernel and ELF kvm (ps and
> brothers)?

KVM already supports all the bootable kernel formats.  I didn't have to
change a userland thing when I switched to ELF kernels - ps and friends
"just worked".

As for the kernel, we've still got a decision to make about how to best
support all boot methods.  Ie, do we ship ECOFF or ELF kernels.  I don't
think we have a final decision on that yet...  However, booting from a
diskfull machine, ELF will be the preferred kernel format.

Simon.