Subject: Re: PMAG-F PXG-Turbo
To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: Jan-Hinrich Fessel <oskar@zippo.unna.ping.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/02/1999 11:23:23
--==_Exmh_1491299332P

In message <199904020059.KAA15411@balrog.supp.cpr.itg.telecom.com.au>you write:
> From the comments in various CVS logs, it seemed that tape support was
> only a myth at the time.  However, with ramdisk kernels this may not be
> the case.  AFAIK, only certain tape drives are supported for booting.
> The TZ30/TK70's certainly are.  We have both Exabytes and TZK09's (the
> DEC-badged Exabyte 8500), and the TKZ09's had a jumper labeled (I think)
> "TZ30-mode" which specifically support booting.  I've got a 5000/240
> with a TZ30 set up at work for NetBSD testing, but not turned on.  I'll
> have a play after the Easter break.

I do have a TZ70 on that machine, so that is not a problem.

> and apply the trailing patch you can "make mktapeboot" to make that
> program.  I've never used it, so good luck from there.  For some more
> info on tape, look at port-pmax.0121 in the mailing list archives...
>
> Good luck, and let us know how you get on!

Hopefully Andy will be able to make any progress on  that while he is trying
to work son something completely differnent.
Is there a way to cross-compile on a SPARC/Alpha/i386 a kernel and bootblock
for the pmax?
Is it even possible to boot pmax from cdrom?  If so, that might be easier in
the short term.

Oskar

--==_Exmh_1491299332P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.3i

iQCVAwUBNwSMirA63tqjeAhZAQGZpwQAik8hcjvyykLkia0G3VhhwVImNIz5zD+p
gVBlHL1jo2G7wzjDHTPNUSQ+dkYPW3sgH8HUws+D1c/NSET+YN0XB7yjB1r/ulSl
Mbyk8zeSGaj76hw2J+OCFA8SmZ4Btu8FTEWC7io0HnZJbsiR+ZM4t09Wk6vDopBr
YAUbHbiMlAw=
=ZyYT
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_1491299332P--