Subject: Re: additional devices...
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/25/1999 09:56:44
>> I'm willing to do work with PMAG-J true color framebuffer.  Although
>> I wrote dev/tc/tfb.c sometime ago, I had no chance to test the code
>> in field.
>
> Speaking of which, Toru, I'm not sure the raster stuff will work with
> 24-bits. Also, last time I looked at tfb.c, it was setting (rc->rc_depth =
> 8)!!

The driver is expected to work with 8bit mode when TX is in raster
console mode.  Bt463 RAMDAC (R) has such a capability to hold 8bit
depth screen and 24bit depth screen simultaneously and another 1bit
plane to select which portion of area is displayed of either.  (That's
just my guess from various sources I read)

> Myself and Matthias are working on an optimized set of wscons ops for
> {1,8,15,16,24,32} bits. I haven't finished the 24 bit ops yet, bit I'll
> let you know as soon as I do.

Koool...  That would pave the way to have 'bitmapped mode' NWSCONS for
TGA SFBplus ASIC for PCI (TURBOchannel version will be OK, too)

Tohru Nishimura
Information Technology Cetre
Nara Institute of Science and Technology