Subject: Re: NetBSD/pmax 'hardware' description
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: David Burren <davidb@osa.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/25/1999 10:10:13
Simon Burge wrote:

> Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
>
>> So, basically, if you have a pmax with only a RZ23, someone's stolen your
>> other disk, you didn't complain loud enough when you bought the machine,
>> or you have a _very_ early system.  The former is probably the most likely.
>
> I wasn't here when all the 3100's and early 5000/120's were purchased
> (I think) around '91, but we bought them as "diskless" clients.  When I
> started here in early '93, we were still buying /125's and /133's with
> RZ23L until they were dropped (and then RZ24Ls until they were dropped
> and so on)...

As Simon says, these systems were being delivered as dataless clients,
with one internal disk for swap.  This _was_ a supported configuration,
and we got literally hundreds of them over time (I think they used
RZ25L/RZ26s by the end).  I don't know how many other DEC customers used
these configurations though.

Over time (as the software bloated :) we found that 100MB wasn't enough
for swap and we shuffled hardware around to suit.  Bigger disks were
installed in some machines, with RZ23Ls shuffled down to have pairs of
swap disks.  The 5000/{xx,1xx} disk mounting brackets became the hardest
item to source in the end...  I think there were only ever less than 10
RZ23s there (the first batch of 3100s we received) but there were heaps
of RZ23Ls.
__
David Burren
davidb@osa.com.au