Subject: Re: 5000/240 and SCSI
To: Kevin Sullivan <ksulliva@psc.edu>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/16/1999 10:05:45
On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Kevin Sullivan wrote:

> Looking through the mailing list archives I see that there have been
> problems with the asc SCSI driver on 5000/200's in 1.3.x.  Will these
> problems affect 5000/240's also?  I'm planning on putting 1.3.3 on a
> 5000/240 soon...

  The 5000/240 uses the IOASIC SCSI normally, and the problem appears to
only be in the TurboChannel-option SCSI that the 5000/200 has.  It's
possibl that the problem may show up on the TC-option card on the other
systems, but not too many people are using the TC-option card when they
have the IOASIC SCSI.  [The IOASIC SCSI will use DMA directly to memory,
while all the TC-option SCSI cards have to copy data to/from the on-card
memory buffer.]

Michael
---
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu