Subject: Proper Serial Cable for DECStation 3100?
From: Douglas S. Meade <doug@inforum2.umd.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/08/1999 17:41:47
Hi again,

Following Philip Tait's FAQ of 9/24/97, I tried the following to
try to boot my 3100 "headless".  1. Removed the graphics SIMM
from the motherboard; 2. Attached no keyboard or mouse; and 3.
Made a paperclip mouse loopback connector, to short pins 1 and 3.

One weakness remains.  I didn't have an MMJ6 serial connector, so
I looked around on the web, and found a distributor who seemed to
understand what I wanted when I talked with him.  From Stonewall
Cable, Inc, I bought what was called a "DECServer 90LT (MMJ)"
which is a short cable that connects the MMJ6 to 25 pin.  The
25-pin connector has only 6 pins: 1,2,3,6,7 and 11.  (I'm not
sure yet *which* of the MMJ6 wires are connected to which pin.)

I've got that cable connected to a null modem cable that I've
been using successfully for other serial console setups.

Can someone tell me if this seems to be the right cable?  I'm still
getting no response from this computer from the Kermit dumb terminal,
although my Kermit setup works for the DECStation/25 and /240.  Are
there some specs available on the pinouts of the MMJ6

Any thanks are much appreciated.

Doug