Subject: Re: writing bootable drive for a DECstation 2100 or 3100 box
To: None <rdkeys@unity.ncsu.edu>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/02/1999 13:37:42
>What is in ``disklabel''?  If I knew what was wanted or had one from
>a 2100/3100 box (RZ24 drive or RZ23 drive), then I could maybe get
>that onto the drive after the sun had formatted it and written the
>diskimage to the a partition.

For our purposes, there are two vital things.

The first is the bootblock code which lives int he first ~8k of the
disk. the second is the BSD disklabel which tells a BSD system how to
crave up the disk into BSD partitions.

IIRC, Sun-3s dont use BSD disklabels; they predate the ~4.3-Reno
addition of on-disk BSD labels.

Trying to set up pmax labels or bootcode on a Sun of any kind, using
Sun disklabel or format utilities, isnt going work: the PROM-specific
offsets will be different.

The easiest way is to do a bit-for-bit copy of an exisiting pmax label
and bootcode. That's why you need to copy the "diskimage" to the _raw_
partition of the C drive: to bypass any labelling on the Sun box.

Just checking, but you did uncompress the diskimage before dd'ing it
to /dev/rsd?c, right?

>It never got this far.  After I booted it and hit <CR> it came
>back after about 2-3 seconds of spinning up the disk to the monitor.

You mean you didn't get to the ">>" prompt?  Are you sure you terminated the
SCSI bus properly?

BTW, the suggestion to netboot is only for installation purposes.  the
1.3 install tools are set up so that you can boot diskless, and then
use the diskless-boot from diskimage.tgz to install to a local disk.
Once you've done that, you no longer need to have a netboot-host-host
up to serve for your pmax.