Subject: Re: writing bootable drive for a DECstation 2100 or 3100 box
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.Stanford.EDU>
From: None <rdkeys@unity.ncsu.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/02/1999 14:18:04

> On Tue, 2 Mar 1999 rdkeys@unity.ncsu.edu wrote:
>
> > That is what I used on sun3 sunos411.    dd if=diskimage of=/dev/rsd3c bs=32k
> >
> > Then carry the disk over to pmax box.    boot -f rz(0,0,0)netbsd
>
> Did you change the SCSI ID of the disk? I thought sunos had fixed minor
> <-> unit mappings, so the drive's at scsi ID 3. I think. And you'd need
> (if I remember my 3100 right) rz(0,3,0)netbsd to boot.

Yes, the sun does not like two drives at id0.....(:+{{....., but the
old sun3 has the correct mappings.  The next generation sparc hardware
played games with id numbers, as I understand it, and my sparcstation
seems to bear out, as opposed to my sun3 and sun4 boxes.

It was set up as id3 on the sun and rejumpered to id0 on the DEC.  It should
have booted as rz(0,0,0), if the drive actual id is 0, correct, or is the
DEC expecting a different id number to boot as rz(0,0,0)?

Bob