Subject: Re: writing bootable drive for a DECstation 2100 or 3100 box
To: None <rdkeys@unity.ncsu.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/02/1999 09:45:20
On Tue, 2 Mar 1999 rdkeys@unity.ncsu.edu wrote:

> > The actual position of the disklabel varies between ports.  Having said
> > that, it appears the boot NetBSD on the Sun 3 and the pmax stick the
> > disklabel 64 bytes into the first sector on the disk.  What happens on
> > the Sun3 if you do this:

Not only does the location differ, but pmax is a little-endian port while
sun3 is a big endian - even if they used the same struct layout, they
wouldn't understand each other.

> >From the sun3, can I correctly disklabel from sunos 4.1.1 the label
> that the netbsd pmax or 2100/3100 box should see?

No. Well, you could lay out the partitions the same, but the pmax wouldn't
do any better. :-(

I thought we distributed a disk image which youy could just throw on the
front of a disk and go from there. ??

Take care,

Bill