Subject: Re: adding a terminal to a 5100
To: Ashley Campbell <ponty@shellyeah.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/01/1999 17:19:40
In message <Pine.GSO.3.96.990301195840.18176A-100000@zippy.shellyeah.org>Ashley
 Campbell writes
>I am trying to add a wyse wy-30 to my decstation 5100/125, and am not
>having much luck so far.
>
>I have set the terminal to 9600 baud, and have modified the /etc/ttys file
>accordingly. Now when I turn it on, the DECstation drops to a debugger
>prompt. I 'continue' and nothing happens.

Almost all the "terminals" I've set up on DECstations are other
workstations running X11, xterm, and tip/cu.  That works.

Which serial port are you using on the DECstation and what kind of
console is it set up for? Entering the debugger on a break
(power-cycling can cause a break) sounds like you're hooked up to the
port beside the reset switch, and that port is set up as serial
console.

If you acutally see a "db>" prompt on your terminal, the fix is to use
the other serial bulkhead and to start a getty on the other one of
ttya or ttyc (i forget which).

>Is there any documentation for it? I looked in the FAQ, and it says to
>refer to the man pages, but they haven;t been too helpful so far.

what kind of documentation, and for what?