Subject: Re: issues with DECstation 5100/125
To: Ashley Campbell <ponty@shellyeah.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/26/1999 17:28:38
Ashley Campbell wrote:

> I have a bunch of DECstation 3100s, and have had no troubles getting the
> little buggers to work in the past, but I inhereted a DECstation 5100/125
> today, and it's a totally different beast.
>
> I have tried to get the thing to boot from my 3100's drives. Is that
> possible? I have an old 200 MB drive around with NetBSD, so I put it in
> and enter "boot 3/rz0a/netbsd", as is explained in the 5000 faq, and I get
> "?DEV: 3/rz0a".  So, I try "boot 3/rz0/netbsd" and that looks like it
> starts to work. The drive spins up, but it just presents a carriage return
> and sits there doing nothing.

The first thing you should see (I think - my NetBSD machines are turned
off at the moment) is:

	Boot: <some numbers and ``+'' signs>

> Will my NetBSD 1.3.2 install as installed for a 3100 work on the 5000? At
> least the kernel should load, right?

If you are just using a GENERIC kernel (the "netbsd" that came with the
release), it should "just work".

> Also, these devices are connected internally. The 50 pin high-density SCSI
> connector on the back does not have a terminator on it. Is that a problem?

Theoretically yes, in practive maybe.  I've had good luck running
5000/1xx series machines with one internal disk and no terminator.

If you continue to have problems, you can always netboot your 5000/125
off one of your 3100s.

Simon.