Subject: Re: DECStation 3100 SCSI port
To: Douglas S. Meade <doug@inforum2.umd.edu>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/25/1999 14:52:08
"Douglas S. Meade" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get NetBSD installed on one of my 3100s, and I haven't
> yet been successful with the net boot, although I've got this to work
> with both DS/25 and DS/240.

What version is your PROM (the KN01 vX.X number)?  Look on
http://www.NetBSD.ORG/Ports/pmax/board-list.html to see if
yours is mentioned.  Another thing - the 3100 wants you to
type "boot tftp()" and not "boot 3/tftp" to netboot.

> I do have some spare external SCSI disks
> with working NetBSD systems however.  But I can't seem to find a cable
> to hook to the port on the back of the 3100.  The port is male, with
> 68 pins.  I contacted several mail order places, such as ComputerGate,
> and Dalco, to see if they had a SCSI cable available for this type of
> connector, but no luck.  What's the normal procedure to hook up a
> disk to one of these fellows?

If the disk is small enough physically, you can mount it inside
the 3100.  Brackets may also be hard to come by as well, but you
can be creative here.  I've got plenty of 68-pin to Centronics
style SCSI cables here, but I'm not exactly in your area (the .au
on the end of my email address gives it away!).

If you get desparate, the connector on the 3100 motherboard is a
standard 50 pin IDC SCSI connector - you may be able to hook that
directly to the drive somehow.

Simon.