Subject: Re: PMAG-CA data structures
To: Andy Doran <ad@psn.ie>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/14/1999 14:21:07
>Ok. Somebody please stop me if they think I'm doing something wrong,
>but... The two PMAG-CA accelerated operations I've recognised so far
>are 'vertical scroll' and 'filled rectangle'. These look pretty simple
>to implement, and with any luck I should be able to do that. The interface
>with the card stays the same, it always seems to be a (two byte as far as
>I remember, I did this late last night) opcode with command
>specific data following.

Way cool.

The next step is to write functions that implement the methods
(callbacks, funciton slots, whatever) which rcons needs: basically
blitting, and scrolling.  If you can write the console font onto the
card's memory, i think you can just copy the relevant rectangles.

>Forgive my ignorance, but is it possible to compile a -current kernel
>on 1.3.2/pmax, and end up with a bootable, ECOFF image? Do I need to
>build a cross-compiler and ECOFF versions of binutils?

Both 1.3.2 and -current first produce kernels in ELF format, and then
convert them to a.out and ECOFF.  a.out is bootable by the scsi
boobtlocks.  ECOFF is bootable via the PROM tftp (or mopd, if you have
an Ultrix server).  You don't need a corss-compiler.