Subject: Re: DEC HD's - a question.
To: None <mjbedy@mtu.edu>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@canolog.ninthwonder.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/13/1999 18:16:09
> > I'd guess that "SCSI Initiator" is the same as "SCSI Spin-up Command."

I'd guess not.  The SCSI spin-up command is a command to tell the disk
to start spinning.  "Initiator" is probably referring to the disk drive
trying to act independently on the SCSI bus.  In SCSI terms, there are
targets and initiators.  Usually, the host adapter (or on-board SCSI)
act as the initiator and drives, scanners, etc. act as targets.  There
is nothing in the specification that prevents a device from acting as
either or both on the same bus.  I suspect that "SCSI initiator" refers
to a drive that might want to drive a SCSI transaction on its own.  I
suspect that those are rare.

Disclaimer: I don't know anything about this device or ACSI devices...

-allen

--
                    Allen Briggs - briggs@ninthwonder.com
       Try free *nix: http://www.netbsd.org/, http://www.freebsd.org/,