Subject: New pmax -current snapshot
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/08/1999 00:10:07
hi all,

There's a snapshot of what should be Satuday's (PST) sup source on
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/pmax/snapshot/1999-02-06.

The snapshot was packaged with the latest etc/Makefile machinery, so
the file kern.tgz almost certainly doesn't have the proper contents.
I'll put GENERIC kernels in both a.out and ecoff format on the ftp
site tomrorow.

For installation, the snapshot has the new-style ``ssto'' kernel: the
installation/ kernels have a memory-disk miniroot image stuffed side
them. Just get the kernel booted (as per the 1.3.3 instructions), and
they should dump you into a shell or sysinst; no need to worry about a
diskimage or putting a `diskimage.tgz' on an NFS server.  The only
exception is 3100s with old PROMs, which dont have a hope of booting
the ~3Mbyte kernel image.

I'd really appreciate it if people could take the time to fetch and
try booting the install kernel, and letting us know whether it boots
successfully or not. (not to install or do the upgrade; just if it
boots successfully).  We'd really like to use the new-style install
for 1.4, but we can't test all the various PROM versions ourselves.