Subject: Re: Help booting DECStation 5000/200 from bootp/tftp. Prompt R> on DECStation
To: Henning Schreiber <schreiberh@vossnet.de>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/06/1999 18:44:52
On Thu, 4 Feb 1999 21:10:35 +0100  "Henning Schreiber" wrote:

> [[ problems booting a 5000/200 of a Windows 95 machine ]]
>
> So there are ten minutes between start and end. How long does the machine
> normally takes to boot
> through bootp/tftp?

Of the top of my head, 20 or 30 seconds...

> Problems known about starting the bootp and tftp on Windxxs? I have no
> working Linux station at
> home.
>
> Windxxs 95 Version 4.00.950
> Lanworks BOOTP Server v1.1 Aug. 11/97 evaluation version
> Lanworks Bootware TFTP Server v1.00 August 1/97 evaluation version

AFAIK, no one has tried to boot a DECstation off a Windows machine.  The
standard kernels will also want to mount their root filesystem via NFS
as well, which I suspect Windows won't do out of the box.

> Other problem with my second DECStation. I can't get the boot prompt (>>). I
> just get a prompt R>
> All correct commands are ignored. But when I type "boot xyz" I get the
> normal error message.
> Anything known about it?

Look at the faq: http://www.NetBSD.ORG/Ports/pmax/faq.html#nvreset

Simon.