Subject: Re: one more xdm problem
To: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/29/1999 20:05:15
On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, maximum entropy wrote:

> >I thought it was a set +m before xfs. ?? If it works...
>
> No, you're mistaken.  "set -m" enables job control, and "set +m"
> disables it.  xfs seems to work properly on pmax only when job control
> is enabled.

Ok, I was wrong. I certainly agree about the last sentance. It's weird, as
I thought all other ports used the same xfs w/o error.

> >> Do I also need to change:
> >>
> >> console "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown on secure
> >>
> >> in the /etc/ttys file to off?
> >
> >Yes.
>
> I believe you're also mistaken here, unless something has changed
> in the past year to make this necessary.  The only pmax of mine that
> uses xdm is running 1.3.0 and works just fine with the console enabled
> in /etc/ttys.

You're lucky! If you have the getty enabled on the tty at the same time as
xdm, you get into race conditions. Whichever of the two opens the console
first wins. I had such a problem w/ an ultrix box once. You log in via
xdm, do things, logout, and get a command line prompt! Ick!

Take care,

Bill