Subject: Re: emacs on mips chip
To: Bob Lantz <avenger@leland.Stanford.EDU>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/29/1999 15:13:04
>I had a terrible time compiling xemacs. The standard netbsd distribution did
>not build. I had to hack unexecelf.c (?) to look for .sbss instead of .bss,
>I believe, and it built a working non-stripped executable. However,
>stripping the executable destroyed it, so now I am running the non-stripped
>version.

Could you share the source?  Even that much might help someone (Terry
F?) get a properly-working mips unexec.

>The great thing about elf is it is a standard which is different on
>every platform.

The funky differences with relocs embedded in the GNU toolchain dont
help, either.  (see ld.elf_so.) I dont know if that's to meet hte
"standard", or due to missing pieces, or for compatibility with Linux
drain-bamage, but its not cool.

>I am not impressed by emacs' brittle "unexec" build scheme, either. Blech.

I know where you're coming from, but if you'd ever waited for emacs to
load up on a Vax, you'd see the merit in undumping.